Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Cubs Spring Training, Mini Camp, 2014, Feb. 26, 2014

Tues. Feb. 26th, was another fantastic day in Cubs Mini Camp, 2014. The athletes were extremely focused during workouts today; they want to improve; they listen to the coaches who try to point out little things each can tweak in their game to improve. Most importantly, this may be as nice a group of 50 young baseball players that I have ever met. The Cubs management/scouting dept. have done a magnificent job of drafting players who are confident but check their egos at the door. They want to be a TEAM and want the CUBS to be World Champions in the near future.

One of the reasons this has been so much fun for me is I have re-connected with several players who played for me in Cotuit in the Cape Cod Collegiate Summer league and have met many athletes who have played in the Cape league for 1 of the other 9 teams. The stories about the Cape League are always fun to hear because everyone has such a great time and excellent baseball experience.

I met two young men today, who I was throwing batting practice, that played at Brewster and Yarmouth-Dennis.  It was enjoyable to hear the stories about their experiences on the cape. Also, one of the coaches I am working alongside played in Orleans, Cape league, thirty years ago.  He remembers the ballpark in detail; could name most of his teammates; remembered in detail his first trip to Provincetown; told me about his host parents and his job taking care of their yard and house.  Most interesting, he stated the Cape League was one of the best experiences in his baseball career which spans thirty plus years.

I am excited about another day in Cubs Spring Training. I am blessed to be a small part of what the Cubs are building.

No comments:

Post a Comment