Sunday, February 23, 2014

Cubs Camp, 3rd Day! Another Wonderful Day on the field.

Sunday was a great day at Cubs Camp. The minor league instructors are outstanding, very organized, the athletes in Mini-Camp have outstanding attitudes and are striving to improve in each session. I continue to be amazed at how positive and friendly everyone is in “Wrigleyville West.” I was observing the minor league offensive players in the outdoor cages when the new Cubs manager, Rick Renteria, walked into the area. I could not have been more impressed with a gentleman. He spoke to young players, in English and Spanish, and did so in a very engaging manner. He spoke to new people like me and made everyone feel so comfortable. Later in the day, I walked over to Major League Camp to see the outfielders take batting practice. I wanted to watch Brett Jackson, who I coached in Cotuit in the Cape League in 2008, and Ryan Kalish, who I got to know at Athletes’ Performance Institute Training Center in Phoenix when Ryan played for the Red Sox. I was standing down the left field line along the fence row when Mr. Renteria was coming onto the field and he immediately said you are welcome to come up to the batting cage to watch. Again, he was just so nice. I could tell in just a few minutes why the leadership of the Cubs hired this gentleman and outstanding baseball man. In closing, I can’t wait to return to Mini-Camp early Monday morning. Every day is a blessing to be with all the great people at Cubs Spring Training.

No comments:

Post a Comment